- Go to a Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas Fair). There are over 60 such fairs in Berlin. The first one opened already end of October at Potsdamer Platz, but my absolute favourite, a real winter tale is Gendarmenmarkt. Most of them run from mid November until the last day of the year. Some close before Christmas Eve. You can find more info on opening hours here.
- Cozy up in a restaurant with a fireplace. My top 3 list is Sage in Kreuzberg district, Café am Neuen See in Tiergarten Park (right next to the Spanish Embassy) and Quchnia in the city centre at Gendarmenmarkt.
- Go ice-skating at the Neptunbrunnen, in front of the main city hall, Rotes Rathaus. But you can also chose from a list of ice-skating halls in the entire city.
- Stroll through parks, especially if there is snow. Try Tiergarten, with amazing landscapes or Schlosspark Charlottenburg, at the biggest palace in Berlin, built in the 17th century.
- In December there are several Christmas concerts or other stage shows in churches. The tickets are affordable and if you’re lucky, you’ll see some extraordinary choreographies like Christoph Hagel’s, for instance. It’s worth mentioning that statistically, there are about 1.500 cultural events per day in Berlin. Your only problem will be to decide which one to go to, believe me 🙂 You can always check the schedule here.
- Spoil yourself at a wellness centre. There are hundreds of options. My favourites: Liquidrom in Mitte/ Kreuzberg district, Ono Spa at Potsdamer Platz and HamamBerlin, a Turkish bath for women only.
- Take a day trip to Potsdam (50 minutes by metro or half an hour by train). The Christmas Fair there is really cute and at Café Heider you can eat delicious traditional German goose. You shouldn’t miss the Sanssouci Park, the former summer residence of Friedrich the Great, King of Prussia, for a “royal” experience.
- Take a walking food tour with Eat the World. Go to 7 restaurants in 3 hours and have a behind-the-scenes-look at Berlin. There are separate tours for each district.
- If you feel like a medieval flair, go to Zitadelle Spandau. There are dozens of jazz, rock and folk concerts in its unique in Berlin gothic hall.